top of page

Are you ready to vote at the next general election?


Register to Vote

To vote in a general election you must:

·        be registered to vote

·        be 18 or over on the day of the election (‘polling day’)

·        be a British, Irish or qualifying Commonwealth citizen

·        be resident at an address in the UK or Gibraltar, or living abroad and registered as an overseas voter

·        not be legally excluded from voting

You must be aged 16 or over to register to vote.  To register, change your address or name, apply online at or contact PWCAC if you need help.


Photo ID

You’ll now need to show photo ID when voting in person in the forthcoming general election and other elections.  There is a long list of acceptable documents on, this list includes:

·         a UK or Northern Ireland photocard driving licence (full or provisional) or a driving licence issued by an EU country, Norway, Iceland, Liechtenstein, the Isle of Man or any of the Channel Islands

·         a UK passport or a passport issued by an EU country, Norway, Iceland, Liechtenstein or a Commonwealth country

·         a PASS card (National Proof of Age Standards Scheme)

·         a Blue Badge

·         a biometric residence permit (BRP)

·         a Defence Identity Card (MOD form 90)

·         a national identity card issued by the EU, Norway, Iceland or Liechtenstein

·         an Oyster 60+ card or a Freedom Pass

The photo on your ID must look like you but you can still use your ID even if it has expired.


If you’re voting as someone’s proxy

You’ll need to take your own ID when you go to vote on someone else’s behalf.  You do not need to take theirs.


If you’ve changed your name

The name on your ID must match your name on the electoral register, although small differences do not matter. For example, if your ID says ‘Jim Smith’ instead of ‘James Smith’.

If your ID does not match your name on the electoral register, you’ll need to either:

·         register to vote again with your new details

·         take a document with you to vote that proves you’ve changed your name (for example, a marriage certificate)

If you do not have accepted photo ID

If you do not have a type of photo ID that allows you to vote, you can apply for a Voter Authority Certificate.  Go to to apply or PWCAC can assist.


This information has been tailored from one of our trusted resources, the government website

PWCAC is OPEN for face-to-face advice (appointments and drop-ins) Monday to Friday, 9:30 – 1:30. If you need advice about welfare benefits, housing and homelessness, debt, relationship breakdown, consumer issues or anything else, get in touch with us: | 01892 838619   94 Commercial Road, Paddock Wood, TN12 6DP

3 views0 comments

Recent Posts

See All


bottom of page