top of page

Attendance Allowance

Many people are not aware of Attendance Allowance, which is a government benefit available to those over state pension age who need help with personal care or supervision because of an illness or disability. It is not means tested so your savings or income won’t impact your eligibility to claim.  You can get Attendance Allowance if you’ve reached State Pension age and the following apply: 

  • you have any type of disability or physical or mental illness, including sight or hearing impairments and conditions such as dementia. 

  • you could benefit from help with personal care, such as getting washed or dressed, or supervision to keep you safe during the day or night. 

  • you have needed that help for at least 6 months 

You do not have to have someone caring for you in order to claim. If you have 12 months or less to live there are different criteria.  It’s paid at 2 different rates and how much you get depends on the level of care that you need because of your disability. 

You could get extra Pension Credit, Housing Benefit or Council Tax Reduction if you receive Attendance Allowance. 

If you think you might be eligible, we would be pleased to advise you and, if appropriate, support you in making an application. 

PWCAC is OPEN for face-to-face advice (appointments and drop-ins) Monday to Friday, 9:30 – 1:30. If you need advice about the above or about housing and homelessness, debt, relationship breakdown, welfare benefits or anything else, get in touch with us: | 01892 838619, 94 Commercial Road, Paddock Wood, TN12 6DP 

14 views0 comments

Recent Posts

See All


bottom of page