top of page

Make your home more energy efficient

Help with the cost of energy efficiency

You might be able to help with the cost of making your home more energy efficient if you own your home or rent from a private landlord. For example, you might be able to apply for help with the cost of insulation, a heat pump or a new boiler. This means you’ll have to pay less to heat your home and it will stay warm for longer.

You may be able to apply to:

· the Boiler Upgrade Scheme

· the Connected for Warmth insulation scheme

If you rent privately

You’ll need permission from your landlord if you want to make any big changes to your home. Your landlord will usually have to pay for some of the cost of making the improvements. If you think you might be eligible for funding or grants, you should talk to your landlord before you apply.

If you live in social housing

There is help available to make your home more energy efficient, but you can’t apply for it yourself. Your landlord will contact you about any work they’re doing to make your home more energy efficient. Your landlord has to make sure your home is reasonably warm and if it isn’t, might have to make repairs.

Applying to the Boiler Upgrade Scheme

You might be able to get a grant towards the cost of replacing your heating system with a heat pump or biomass boiler. Your current heating system must use oil, gas or electricity. If you already have a heat pump, you can’t use the grant to replace it. You’ll usually need to pay some of the costs yourself. Check if you can get help from the Boiler Upgrade scheme on

Applying to the Connected for Warmth insulation scheme

If your home is in council tax band A, B, C or D, you might be eligible for free loft or cavity wall insulation. If you own your home, you can apply on their website If you rent from a private landlord, your landlord needs to apply on your behalf.

Energy saving tips

With recent steep increases in the cost of energy, finding savings remains important. Some electrical appliances use a lot of electricity and others don’t. In general, the largest proportion of most household’s electricity bill comes from running appliances such as washing machines, dishwashers and electric showers. Fridges have a low wattage but are in use continually and an iron takes a lot of power to make it hot even if used infrequently. The following website lists appliances and their associated costs which may be useful:

PWCAC is OPEN for face-to-face advice (appointments and drop-ins) Monday to Friday, 9:30 – 1:30. If you need advice about welfare benefits, housing and homelessness, debt, relationship breakdown or anything else, get in touch with us: | 01892 838619

94 Commercial Road, Paddock Wood, TN12 6DP

11 views0 comments

Recent Posts

See All


bottom of page