top of page

Managed Migration to Universal Credit

Updated: Jan 1

Universal Credit is a means-tested benefit and it is replacing six existing means- tested benefits (known as legacy benefits):

· Child Tax Credit

· Working Tax Credit

· Income Support

· Income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance

· Income-related Employment and Support Allowance

· Housing Benefit (working-age claimants)

Managed migration is the process where the DWP invites legacy benefit claimants to make a claim for Universal Credit. This is different to natural migration, which happens when a legacy benefit claimant has a change in circumstances and Universal Credit becomes the only benefit available to claim.

Managed migration has now started in this area for those on Tax Credits.

· The process will start later for those on other benefits.

· The managed migration process begins when the DWP send you a migration notice. This notice informs you that your legacy benefit entitlement will end on a specified date and invites you to make a claim for Universal Credit.

· The migration notice will be delivered by post. Your legacy benefits will finish on the date specified on the letter. If you wish to continue to receive a benefit then you need to make an application for Universal Credit as the transfer is not automatic.

· However, you will have three months from the date of your migration notice to make your claim.

· If the amount you are entitled to on your existing benefits is more than you’ll get on Universal Credit, a top up is available. This is called a ‘transitional protection’ payment.

· Depending on your circumstances, some people will benefit from lodging their claim for Universal Credit immediately and others will benefit from applying closer to the end of the three month period. We can help you decide what is right for you.

· Be aware that the government are sending all recipients of the relevant benefits a leaflet called “Tax Credits are ending – Get Ready for Universal Credit”. This is NOT a migration notice.

What do I need to do?

· Open your post!

· Get in touch with Paddock Wood Community Advice Centre if you need advice once you receive your migration notice.

PWCAC is OPEN for face-to-face advice (appointments and drop-ins) Monday to Friday, 9:30 – 1:30. If you need advice about welfare benefits, housing and homelessness, debt, relationship breakdown or anything else, get in touch with us: | 01892 838619, 94 Commercial Road, Paddock Wood, TN12 6DP

7 views0 comments

Recent Posts

See All


bottom of page